Thursday, May 26, 2011

Walgreen's Trip: Hit and Miss

I spent an hour or two preparing for a trip to Walgreen's tonight. I clipped, printed, and searched, looking up all the deals I wanted to take advantage of. Here was my list:

2 Rimmel Nail Colors $.19 (deal listed earlier yesterday)
2 Listerine Whitening + Restore $.20
                    Starting Price Approx. $6
                    Use 2 $1/1 printable coupons
                    Use $3/1 in-ad coupon (will ring up as $6 off)
                    I paid $4.40 out of pocket and received $4 Register Rewards
1 Bayer Advanced Aspirin FREE
                    Starting price $4.50
                    Use $1/1 coupon
                    Use $1.50/1 in-ad coupon
                    Use $1/1 May coupon booklet (ask cashier if you can't find them)
10 Tuf Paper Towels $.50 with in-ad coupon
2 Nestle candy bars $.49 with in-ad coupon

I broke them into two orders to take advantage of the RR I would be getting for the Listerine.

Order 1
2 Listerine
Total: $4.40 Receive $4 RR

Order 2
2 Nail Polishes
1 Bayer
2 Candy Bar
10 Paper towel
-$4 RR
-$1 RR from last week
Total: Approx. $2

Well, things didn't work out as well as I wanted... My small Walgreen's didn't have the right Rimmel nail polish, and nothing else that was the right price to match the deal. So that was out. They had everything else, however. So I went to the register. The first transaction went off without a hitch with a total of $4.40. The RR printed off right and all was good.

The 2nd transaction had a little speed bump though. The cashier and manager would not take the May Bayer coupon. They insisted that the coupon was not speaking of the Advanced Aspirin even though the coupon just said Bayer Aspirin. I didn't want to argue, since it was closing time, so I just had them void the aspirin and go on with the order. Everything else worked and I paid $1.80 total for the 2nd order.




I paid a total of $6.20 and got 2 bottles of Listerine Whitening + Restore, 10 rolls of paper towel, and 2 candy bars. It doesn't feel like a huge success to me, since I like to keep things under $5 usually, but when you think about it, I still got the Listerine for almost free and paper towels cheap. So it was a hit and miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment